Cereal bars from the supermarket can come with a variety of fruit fillings. And this inspired me to work on a healthy rustic dough recipe that I could use to wrap around my own fruit fillings of choice. This is so that I can make fruits last a touch longer and present them in a different way to my own children. Variety of presentation is key!
These are also easy to involve the kids in making too!
The dough can be a bit crumbly, yet, the rustic look is just like the supermarket variety. You can also make them to whatever size you like at home.
In this recipe, I include poached apple and apricot as the filling idea. Yet, you don’t necessarily need to go to the effort of poaching your fruit in advance.
You can try:
- Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter and diced strawberry / blueberries
- Tahini and diced prunes
- Grated apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Sultanas and cinnamon ricotta
- Tinned peaches and pears
- Almond butter, pumpkin puree and maple syrup
- Custard and berries
- Banana slices with crushed hemp seeds
Or these ideas for cooked / poached fillings:
- Dates soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes, pureed with cocoa and pitted fresh cherries.
- Apple and Pumpkin Cubes poached with vanilla and mashed
- Poached apricots with star anise and pear
- Poached rhubarb
Positive Food Talk with Kids
Join Simone and Meg as they cover:
- Why we should learn to eat without pressure.
- How to encourage learning about food (without pressure)
- Boundaries you can set around when to talk about food
- Food anxiety triggers and ways to avoid building more resistance to foods
Lifetime access to video and the bonus printables.
(scroll down for more information)
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Poached Apple and Apricot Filled Cereal Bars for Kids
- Gather the following Ingredients:
2 diced apples with skin on (for additional fibre)
6 dried apricots
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 cup of water
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup natural bran / wheat germ
- Poach the Apricot and Apple
In a small saucepan, add the chopped apple, dried apricots, water and vanilla and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and watch for all of the liquid to be absorbed. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
*Note: at this time start pre-heating your oven to a moderate temperature (180oC).
- Make the Dough
In one bowl, combine the honey and coconut oil (you may need to melt the coconut oil if it is not already liquid) and then add the egg and vanilla bean paste.
In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients to it.
Work the dough into a ball with your hands. Roll the dough out until it is 1/2 cm thick and cut into 9 cm x 9 cm squares – you should get 5-7 squares. Note: It is best to work with this dough fresh as it will crumble too much if left to dry out.
- Form and Bake The Cereal Bars
In the middle of each square, place a line of fruit (or other filling). Roll the fruit up into the dough. It may crumble a little, use wet fingers to seal the dough around the fruit.
Bake in your pre-heated oven for 15 mins.