So this happened …
I entered a recipe competition!
It was probably definitely out of my league but I did it anyway. If you can do things that challenge and excite you , why not!? My entry in the competition was this Mandarin Curd Tart with a Pecan Nut Crust.
What have you done lately that challenges or excites you?
- Sumo Citrus Mandarin Curd:
- 60g dairy free spread (eg. Nuttelex)
- 125g caster sugar
- Juice from 2 Sumo Citrus Mandarins
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Sumo Citrus Mandarin Zest
- Pecan Nut Crust:
- 150g Pecan nuts
- 2 tsp dairy free spread, melted
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Optional (for serving): 150ml Lactose free cream with 1 tsp Sumo Citrus mandarin zest and ½ tsp vanilla bean paste folded through.
- Start by preparing the pecan nut pie crust and preheat your oven to 180oC and grease either 4 small individual pie dishes, a 24cm round pie dish or even an oval pie dish, as pictured.
- In a food processor, blitz the pecan nuts to form a crumb-like consistency. Add the dairy free spread, water, brown sugar and vanilla bean paste and process until the mixture is coming away from the sides of the processor bowl.
- Press the mixture into the pie dish(es). Note: depending on how thick you like your crust, you may have some mixture left over. Bake the crusts for 15 - 20 minutes until they have hardened. Let the crust(s) cool while you make the curd filling.
- For the Sumo Citrus Mandarin curd filling, cream the dairy free spread and the caster sugar together until the mix is light and fluffy. Add the 3 egg yolks and Sumo Citrus Mandarin juice. Note: to effectively juice the mandarins you can use a potato ricer, a citrus juicer or pass them through a sieve with a spatula. Place this mixture into a small saucepan over a low heat. Stirring constantly, allow the mixture to get warm but do not let boil. (If you would like to keep an eye on the temperature you are aiming at 75oC). The mixture will thicken over about 20 minutes of stirring. Stir through the Sumo Citrus mandarin zest.
- Pour the curd mixture to the awaiting pie crusts and allow to set in the fridge for about an hour (or overnight if possible). Serve with Sumo Citrus Mandarin Zest infused cream.