Therefore, here is a list of the historic Play with Food soup recipes!
This Mexican Chicken Soup recipe – which, by the way, is so delicious! I couldn’t believe how creamy the avocado was to add to the soup – I had NEVER thought to add it in cubes like that at the end before!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 small thigh fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 750ml low sodium chicken stock
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ⅓ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- Serving suggestion: tortilla wraps topped with some grilled cheese and fresh coriander
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots and saute until tender.
- Add garlic and stir for 20 seconds before adding the stock, tomatoes, chicken and cumin.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat, cover with lid and simmer. Stir the soup occasionally, until chicken has cooked through. It takes 10 - 15 minutes depending on thickness of the chicken.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the saucepan and let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes. Shred the chicken using two forks and return it to the soup.
- Stir in most of the fresh coriander and lime juice.
- Add the cubes of avocado just before serving and sprinkle on the reserved coriander as a garnish.
I hope this post comes in handy over the upcoming cooler months! Let me know which ones you try and how the kids like it!