Join children’s occupational therapist, Simone Emery, in an online group feeding therapy program. We use child-led and responsive feeding strategies to build a child’s confidence around new foods.
Next group: 8:30am Saturdays from 1 October – 3 December, 2022
Ages: 5 – 9
Who is this program for?
Simone works with children that have shown red flags to feeding, including dropping foods from multiple food groups, having a limited number of foods in their diety and/or families that experience ongoing stress at mealtimes. If fussy eating is impacting how you feel about feeding kids and you would like professional input to scaffold strategies with your child, this hands-on program will help boost your child’s confidence and give you some pathways towards less stressful mealtimes.
Over the course of 10 ONLINE sessions, we build social rapport in the group, explore the sensory nature of foods, spend time creating food learning experiences and explore strategies your child wants to use at home to ease stress and move towards family goal foods.
Examples of Occupational Performance Goals:
- To feel more comfortable around foods that the children don’t ordinarily eat (including fruits, vegetables and mixed textures)
- To have strategies that help children sit at a table or near their peers when eating (improved meal participation)
- To increase the types of foods your child will eat
- To feel included in social events where food is offered
Intake closes 2 weeks prior to the peer group classes to allow you to arrange your timetable, purchase the foods and have a one:one 30 minute parent-only pre-course introductory Zoom session with Simone. This initial parent telehealth session goes for 30 minutes. It helps us to to collaborate on a responsive approach to feeding that will support you during the program as well as introduce you to the telehealth platform and links. This session includes reviewing occupational performance goals, your child’s current dietary repertoire and we review information you will provide that outlines your child’s feeding history. Simone will email you upon purchase to arrange your first individual session.
What parents love about ONLINE therapy meals?
- No travel time to clinic!
- Parents get first hand view of what is happening in the session by sitting near the child. A different view to when you are in the thick of orchestrating your usual mealtimes.
- The child sees peers to understand they are NOT alone, yet, the sensory trigger if another child eats something near them is not as acutely felt. So, we can explore coping mechanisms without triggering a fight/flight response.
- Therapy meals are focused on confidence and skill building. Let me do this work, so your family meals can flourish. I can often spot WHY a child may be struggling with certain road blocks to eating that may not get observed in other settings.
- The report at the end of the program gives really tailored suggestions to keep working on your child’s internal motivation to try new foods and build their confidence.
Due to the group based nature, there are no make-ups available for the group sensory food school sessions. If you require a progress report at the conclusion of the program, an additional fee is payable. The program “results” depend on attendance, participation, and the time it takes for you child to generalise the things they learn to their other environments. All allergies, sensitivities and dietary restrictions need to be disclosed ASAP to enable customization of shopping list and lesson plans.
If you have NDIS funding and would like to book into this session, contact Simone ASAP and she will arrange invoicing separately. Or if you wish to pay via direct debit instead of PayPal, you may also contact Simone to book your session. Your place in this course can not be guaranteed until payment is made.