June’s pinterest challenge was slightly marred by my pinterest fail in May (that took me 6 weeks to recover from). The pinterest “Gods” set down the task of an heirloom tomato soup as my June challenge. Given that my youngest daughter has a sensitivity to excessive amounts of tomato, I would steer clear of a tomato soup. However, I liked the colour and the sound of it and used that as a base for this soup – a pumpkin, tomato and basil delight.
For more soup ideas check out my soup round up from March Here and also my post about how to encourage your toddler to Self-feed soup. Scared of making a mess? Here’s more about how you can Embrace Mess and why it’s important to let kids get messy.
- ¼ Kent pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes
- 5-6 large, fresh basil leaves
- 4 tsp garlic infused olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
- Optional: croutons -
- Heat a pan and add oils
- Fry the pumpkin in the oil to get some nice caramelised brown edges
- Add the tomato and 2 cups of water
- Add the basil and seasoning
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- Mash or puree the soup to your desired consistency
- Optional: top with Orgran croutons with sea salt (made with quinoa)
What is your favourite topping for soups? What colour soup appeals most to your kids?